8 months, 2 weeks ago
I don’t understand this Communications question and need help to study.
portfolio assignment is your opportunity to summarize and bring together the discoveries that you have made throughout the quarter around communication behaviors of target and agent members in your chosen social identify category. In this final summary essay, your purpose is to share the personal results of your exploration this quarter in a concise blending of the results and experiences, you had with each assignment. This essay is designed to support the development of cognitive complexity through your increased awareness of the lives of target group members and your communication in your life as an agent in this particular social identify category. Completing the tasks here in your essay help you explain your thoughts as you developed your empathic understanding and broadened your knowledge of the experiences of target and agent members of your chosen social category by doing these portfolio assignments. You will submit this essay to the instructor for her reading only.
Use your knowledge of the course content that you have explored and engaged throughout our course with our course readings, discussions, and viewings to explore your findings in each portfolio assignment you submitted. Bringing together the results of each of these assignments, you will discuss the dynamic of power and privilege identifying course terms that various authors used in the readings such as verbal/nonverbal communication, perceptions of sameness/difference, different types of privilege including the “luxury of obliviousness,” rationalizing narratives of prejudice, implicit bias, identity, empathy, and path of least resistance.
Though our work you have developed these skills toward completing this assignment.
- Examine how power and privilege manifest through communication in culture in the lives of both privileged and disadvantaged persons by surfacing assumptions and improving listening
- Take risks to acquire, construct, and demonstrate knowledge of communication regarding sameness and difference in systems of power, privilege, and inequality
- Practice identifying cross-cultural communication competence and media recognizing both competent and not competent communication behaviors such as rationalizing narratives of prejudice and microaggressions
- Summarize through the results of your work your discoveries about how systems of power and privilege are related to identity development and communication
- Convey your understanding of our course topics through organized and coherent written communication that clearly synthesizes communication of course content within personal reflections
- Share ideas, personal experiences, self-assessment processes, and listen to those of others with diverse perspective to deepen understanding of power, privilege, inequality, equity, and identity
In this essay section of your portfolio, you will synthesize your discoveries about the chosen social category from your experience with all portfolio assignments: surfacing assumptions, movie critique, the annotated bibliography of resource, and your experiences with the diary of discoveries. Explain in detail how you have accomplished the four objectives of our portfolio assignment and what you learned about your identity and those persons in the target group. If you think you “learned nothing,” explain what was holding onto you that prevented an expansion of learning or if you already knew these things share what was the effect of recognizing what you suspected. Explore in the end what questions you are still pondering. Explain what actions related to communication you may feel moved to take because of this exploration. Write the essay in the FIRST PERSON addressing these questions and following the guidelines below in essay form.
Your synthesis paper should be a concise yet thorough synthesis of your observations, challenges, conclusions and questions from the Portfolio assignments this quarter. Be sure to link any conclusions to your evidence (show me how you came to the conclusion you came to by referring to observations made in your submissions for assignments 1-4 of this portfolio).
Share on Facebook
- Throughout the essay, apply course terms as you analyze your experience using both texts and supplemental readings or recordings you have completed during the quarter. Be sure to cite the source of your reading or definitions using the APA style sheet.
- Clearly identify the social category you are exploring and the reason that you choose this category (use your ideas from your “Surfacing Assumptions” paper). Were you able to suspend/challenge your assumptions as you moved through the quarter?
- Summarize the major insights you have from doing the movie analysis assignment. What movie did you watch and how did it affect you and your understanding of your social category? Would you recommend it based on the other information you have learned through exploring the target group?
- From your work on the Bibliography of Resources, what one website, organization, person, resource did you find that inspired you or gave you hope? Be sure to explain why you would choose this particular site or organization especially how it meets the needs of the target group members.
- What surprises or revealing moments did you have regarding yourself and target members of this social identity category because of doing this overall portfolio assignment? What did you learn about the agent and target group within the social category? Your own privilege within that category? About yourself?
- At any time while doing these assignments, were you able to take a different perspective other than your own? What was it and how did that feel? Do you think you developed empathy or broadened your cognitive complexity? What were you able to see about the socialization process and our resulting communication behavior (both agent and target group members)?
- In your conclusion, summarize your findings from the assignments and your thinking about your communication as an agent member of this category. Considering your final findings, chose something you might consider doing from Johnson chapter 9 to resist how target members are disadvantaged based on your conclusions of this portfolio. Explain what you think you might feel comfortable doing and why or why not. Perhaps you think something is a great idea but you are not ready to do this at this time-you can also go in that direction (make sure you are not rationalizing I am not asking you to take action, I just want to hear your thoughts). Then identify and mention at least two of the Cascadia Course Level (the individual bullets) Learning Outcomes, you met through doing this assignment. If you only note any of the four college wide outcomes, you will lose points.
- you will need a textbook for this course. Our Textbooks for this course are: Allen, Brenda. (2010) Difference Matters: Communicating Social Identity . (2nd ed.) Long Grove, Ill: Waveland Press. $31 Waveland press Johnson, A.G. (2018) Privilege, Power, and Difference (3nd ed. ) New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.